Who is Health Care Justice?
HCJ is committed to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality medical care. Health care is a social good, much like education. It is too critical to be treated as a commodity and left to the whims of the market. We care that our neighbors have health care for their own well-being. And, just as we all benefit by having neighbors who are educated, we also all benefit by having neighbors who are healthy. When our neighbors are able to take care of their health, without undue expense or anxiety, they can be more productive members of society.
In our wealthy nation, we can afford to provide health care to all in a financially sustainable way. Our organization's name--Health Care Justice--expresses our conviction that this is an issue of social justice.
We support a single-payer health care system that covers everyone. In a single-payer system, one governmental or quasi-governmental agency is responsible for the financing of health care, while health care delivery remains primarily private. Among the many advantages would be universal access and the resulting improvement in the health of millions, while saving billions of public dollars thanks to administrative efficiencies and the ability to exert true cost controls.
We are an affiliate of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP), which has been working on this cause for more than 25 years. We are also affiliated with Health Care for All North Carolina, also a PNHP chapter. Our board consists of the following members:
- Jessica Schorr Saxe, MD: Board Chair
- Denise Finck-Rothman, MD: Membership Committee Chair; Chair-Elect
- Margie Storch: Communications Chair
- Andrea DeSantis, DO
- George Bohmfalk, MD:Secretary; Education Chair
- Shami Hariharan, MD
- Jacki Marshall: Cornwell Team Chair Co-Chair
- Dimple Shah, BSN
- Zach Thomas III, Treasurer
- Susan Rucker, DHA: Legislative Co-Chair
- Tera Long: Legislative Co-Chair
- JoAnn Seiburg-Baker: Cornwell Team Co-Chair
- John Clark, MD
Please join us! Everyone is welcome. Membership in HCJ is free. We encourage you to join PNHP (for which there is a charge) at www.pnhp.org but PNHP membership is not required for membership in HCJ.
We recommend that you look at the PNHP Website, as there is a wealth of information about the compelling case for single-payer, universal health care.
Please get involved. You may do so by:
- Signing our resolution in support of a single-payer system.
- Contacting us at HCJusticeNC@gmail.com
- Work on a committee. Help us develop communication pieces and public presentations, and plan membership meetings.
- Invite one of us to speak about single-payer health care to a group to which you belong or that you think would be interested.
- Share your ideas about how we can advance this important issue.
- Making a donation to help us with our work.